Caring For Your Itchy Dog
If your pup is itchy and scratches their body regularly, you may be wondering what’s going on and how you can help them. Dogs can begin itching for a variety of reasons but below are some of the most common reasons why they may be feeling itchy:
- Fleas or Ticks: During the warmer months, fleas and ticks love to find a home in your dog’s fur. These bugs will feed on your pup’s blood and can cause allergic reactions and other health issues. If your pup begins to itch excessively, check for signs of fleas or ticks. Look for insect poop in the color of dark specs or flea and tick eggs in the color of white specs.
- Food Allergies: If your pup is allergic to something in his meal, it could cause itchiness. Your vet will be able to help guide you in the case of a food allergy. If your dog does have allergies, then your vet will likely recommend a diet change to eliminate the source of allergies.
- Environmental Allergies: Another source of itchiness and irritation for your dog could be the environment. Things like dust, debris, pollen, and other particles could cause your pup to itch like crazy. If you live in an area with low humidity, then dry skin could also cause itchiness.
There are a few home remedies you can try to soothe your dog’s itchy skin:
- Tea baths: Certain teas like chamomile and green teas have properties that can help soothe the skin. For an itchy dog, try filling up a tub with water and soak 3-4 bags of chamomile tea in the water. Let your dog soak in the water for a few minutes. For smaller areas, you can even dab the irritated areas with a cloth soaked in tea.
- Apple Cider Vinegar and Water Spray: Apple cider vinegar mixed with water can offer relief from itchy areas. However, avoid spraying this mix on any open or possibly infected wounds.
- Plain Sugar-Free Yogurt: Feeding your dog plain yogurt might also offer relief from itchy skin. If your pup happens to have a food allergy, then plain yogurt can help soothe their digestive system and stem the scratching.
Coconut Oil: This oil has many antifungal properties and makes a great moisturizer for dry and itchy skin. Rub the oil into the dog’s fur daily to ease the itch.
At Murray Hill Pet Hospital, Our Team Can Help Your Itchy Dog
Located in the hustle and bustle of Murray Hill, Manhattan, our pet hospital offers top-notch veterinary services for companion animals. Whether your pup is scratching excessively, suffering from other issues, or just needs a general wellness checkup, visit us at Murray Hill Pet Hospital. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.
By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://veterinarianmurrayhillny.com/